SeaLetter readers did so well on our Alaska and Caribbean quizzes that we thought we'd try a general cruise quiz for all you experts. Once again we have a multiple choice format and fantastic intangible prizes in the way of memberships in the SeaLetter Hall of Fame (which already covers several acres of a former landfill site).
1. All current Carnival Cruise ships have names that end in "y", "n" or "e":
2. The name of the first Carnival ship was:
(a) Party Animals
3. On the first cruise of the correct ship in question 2:
(a) the ship was impounded by Cuban authorities
4. Which is incorrect?
(a) Carnival owns Holland America
5. P&O stands for:
(a) a vulgar abbreviation for telling someone to get lost
6. Which day of the week did superstitious sailors believe was an unlucky day for the start of an ocean voyage?
7. The word "posh" is said to have been created from the acronym P.O.S.H., meaning:
(a) Port Out, Starboard Home
8. And now for the Wheel of Fortune question: what is the name of this Royal Caribbean ship?
SP******* of the Seas
SP******* of the Seas
(a) Spendthrift of the Seas
9. The nautical term "port" means:
(a) the left, as you look towards the bow
10. Here are some nautical terms with explanations. Which one is wrong?
(a) aft - back or stern
11. These ships are shown with their former name (or one of their former names) on the left, with the current name on the right. Which one is wrongly matched?
(a) Rotterdam V - Rembrandt
12. A traditional dish on a cruise ship which is often served on the second-last or last night of a cruise is:
(a) Baked Alaska
13. The "caller" at bingo on cruise ships often gives the same silly comment or sound when a certain number is called. What is usually said after the number 22 is called?
(a) eyes of blue
14. On a cruise ship, "stabilizers" are:
(a) a glass of water and two Tylenol
15. Where do the crew sleep on a cruise ship?
(a) in cabins below the passenger decks
16. A "purser" on a cruise ship is:
(a) in charge of the passengers' comfort and welfare
17. Which one is presently the largest cruise ship afloat?
(a) the Grand Princess
18. Here is a list of cruise lines and the year that each was founded. Which one has the wrong date?
(a) Holland America - 1973
19. A ship's speed is measured in knots, being one nautical mile per hour. A nautical mile is:
(a) about 15% longer than a land mile
20. Carnival's new absolutely-no-smoking ship is named:
21. The word "Monrovia" can be seen on the stern of a number of cruise ships and sometimes on the life preservers. Monrovia is:
(a) the capital of the country where the ship is registered
22. A flag on a ship's mast which is half red, half white, represents the letter "H" and means:
(a) a pilot is on board
23. What's the name of the London-based company which runs most of the beauty salons and spas on board cruise ships?
24. A cruise ship's "gross tonnage" is a measure of its:
(a) volume of enclosed space
25. The 1975 TV series "The Love Boat" has been shown on TV in how many countries (prior to the USSR disintegrating into 13 countries)?
26. Which is not a movie about the ill-fated Titanic?
(a) Titanic 1953 (Clifton Webb)
The SeaLetter Cruise Review Board, consisting of managing editor Bob Jackson, his bowling coach and his two cats, Lewis & Clark, will rate entries as follows:
27 or more correct: Absolutely amazing (there's only 26 questions).
20 - 26 correct: Expert. You've cruised too much and have spent your children's inheritance.
10 - 19 correct: Novice. Time to try a cruise line other than Carnival.
0 - 9 correct. Dunderhead. You haven't cruised except for the Staten Island ferry. You have now been entered into the SeaLetter Hall of Infamy.
Answers can be found by CLICKING HERE. NO PEEKING!
Originally from Australia, Alan has for some time been permanently settled in Vancouver where he is a practicing Attorney. He has been a SeaLetter columnist, reviewer and our resident humorist for some time now.
To find all of Alan's SeaLetter columns, featured and humorous articles, and cruise and port reviews, visit our SeaLetter COLUMNISTS Index.
Alan loves email, and can be reached at: Alan@sealetter.com.
If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please